Sunday, December 3, 2017

Advent One - First Mary Letter



Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock; shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.  In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin, and Manasseh, stir up your strength and come to help us.

Restore us, O God of hosts; show the light of your countenance, and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts, how long will you be angered despite the prayers of your people?

You have fed them with the bread of tears; you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbors, and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts; show the light of your countenance, and we shall be saved.

Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand, the son of man you have made so strong for yourself. And so will we never turn away from you; give us life, that we may call upon your Name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts; show the light of your countenance, and we shall be saved. Psalm 80:1-7, 16-18

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

I guess I am really naïve. When you said you expect attacks from the most unlikely places, I didn't believe you. I guess I thought God would protect me from that, after all an angel was sent to me. It has started in earnest. Leaders of the synagogue have said very harsh things and Papa and Joseph have been shunned. We hid it well for several months but now I am like a big sign. They believed we have sinned. I heard Mama crying last night and it made me cry too.

Joseph and I are preparing to be wed, but we have to keep it very small. Fortunately, his cousin can perform the ceremony. I wish we could be more public, but everything we do brings ridicule and shame. It is so hard to be faithful when the world around thinks we are misguided and corrupt fools.
I had tried to be very strong, yet some moments are just unbearable. My friends won't even talk to me or come to visit anymore.

I know your time is very close. I pray for you that you can be strong and survive all that is ahead of you. I take heart in knowing we are both carrying promises from God, miracles of a holy making. I only wish  our neighbors weren't so judgmental and cruel.

Sending much love,

Mary

No comments: