Friday, December 22, 2017

Advent 3 - Mary letter 19

Save me, O God, by your name,
   and vindicate me by your might.
Hear my prayer, O God;
   give ear to the words of my mouth.


For the insolent have risen against me,
   the ruthless seek my life;
   they do not set God before them.
 
But surely, God is my helper;
   the Lord is the upholder of my life.
He will repay my enemies for their evil.
   In your faithfulness, put an end to them.


With a freewill-offering I will sacrifice to you;
   I will give thanks to your name, O Lord, for it is good.
For he has delivered me from every trouble,
   and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies.Psalm 54


Dearest Mama,

Joseph and I send love and our prayers. We are staying on the outskirts of Bethlehem with Papa's cousin Ruth. She has been so kind to us. The weather has turned cold in these hills and there has been some snow, so we won't be venturing until there is better weather. Joseph is very thoughtful and cautious, trying to make sure I am safe and comfortable. This journey has been very slow and I seem to grow bigger by the hour, even though I can eat very little at a time. There is no room in there!
Ruth and others think the baby will be coming soon. I am hoping to be home again when that happens.

Mama, although we are not even in the city we can see the lights and sometimes even hear the people. Last night, the longest darkness of the year, we stood outside and listened to the wind carry voices and wondered what we are facing. I have never been to a city this big and crowded. Joseph assures me that he can handle it all, so I will lean heavily on him for support and strength. He is going to the local market today to gather food and other provisions. Word has it that the vendors in Bethlehem are charging double because of the census crowds. Ruth has also made me some wonderful cakes that travel well, and is giving us dried fruit from her very own trees.

Mama, please assure Papa that I am reading and reciting my psalms. Sometimes Joseph and I even sing together the ones we know. It makes the walking easier and the time pass so sweetly. Although I miss you terribly, I trust that God goes with us. And I know you are a fierce prayer warrior, praying for us night and day.

sending so much love,

Mary

No comments: