Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Advent 1 - Mary Letter 4

Happy are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the Lord. Happy are those who keep his decrees, who seek him with their whole heart, who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways. You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently.
O that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes! Then I shall not be put to shame, having my eyes fixed on all your commandments. I will praise you with an upright heart, when I learn your righteous ordinances. I will observe your statutes;    do not utterly forsake me.


How can young people keep their way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; do not let me stray from your commandments. I treasure your word in my heart,
   so that I may not sin against you. Blessed are you, O Lord; teach me your statutes. With my lips I declare all the ordinances of your mouth. I delight in the way of your decrees as much as in all riches. I will meditate on your precepts, and fix my eyes on your ways. I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.


Deal bountifully with your servant, so that I may live and observe your word.
Open my eyes, so that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.
I live as an alien in the land; do not hide your commandments from me.
My soul is consumed with longing for your ordinances at all times.
You rebuke the insolent, accursed ones, who wander from your commandments;
take away from me their scorn and contempt, for I have kept your decrees.
Even though princes sit plotting against me, your servant will meditate on your statutes.
Your decrees are my delight, they are my counsellors. Psalm 119:1-24


Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

It has been a day! I am writing to you, right before bed since today was so full. First was a big surprise when I got out of bed, eagerly this morning. I thought Joseph and I would have time to ourselves, but instead, our cousin Simon arrived and will listen to our vows in two days. If that wasn't enough, my mother had invited the wise women here today to examine me to make sure I could travel! Oh, it was so embarrassing and overwhelming! To have my relative here and to have all these old women pouring over me. They took me aside, into my room, and tried to be as private as possible. They couldn't help talking, though, and they were so loud! They measured and prodded and poked at places that made me feel so ashamed. I kept my eyes closed the whole time as if that would help take my embarrassment away. Then all of the sudden they were clapping and running to tell my Mama I was still a virgin. Of course I am, although the rest of the town thinks otherwise. No one ever listens to one girl like me.

Papa told me that he is putting supplies together for the journey to Bethlehem. He has been corresponding with relatives along the way who can take us in and keep us safe. He is worried, I can see it on his face but he talks like everything is great. Why is it the men cannot show us their hearts very often? I am glad that Joseph seems able to show me his heart, even though he is very shy, especially around my family. He too is afraid, taking a girl like me on such a journey, and yet he talks to me about his fears and tells me how hard it is for him to know how to pray. We will lean on each other, I guess.

Please know we are awaiting good news from you! It must be any day now, though maybe the boy has been born already? I think of you everyday and wish I was traveling to your house and not to the census. Why is it that grand people far away are always given poor people orders? I admit to not understanding politics at all.

Much love always,

Mary

No comments: