Monday, December 4, 2017

Advent 1 - Mary Letter day 2


Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path that sinners tread, or sit in the seat of scoffers; but their delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law they meditate day and night.

They are like trees planted by streams of water, which yield their fruit in its season, and their leaves do not wither. In all that they do, they prosper.


The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgement, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; for the
Lord watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish. Psalm 1


Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

Well, I had a horrible night, barely sleeping at all. We had a nice supper as a family sitting in the garden in the cool air. Then some men came shouting for my father and Joseph. We hurried inside as the men went to see what was the matter. There were some angry men, fortunately none of them leaders, who wanted us gone from here. When the story came out finally, a small lamb had died in a neighbor's pasture and they thought it was my sin, so therefore fault. I guess because I had been out walking under the trees this afternoon, they thought I had done something. They think me a witch! Oh, the words that were said! And how brave Joseph and Papa were!

It has been decided that I should stay inside, at least well into the evening, when darkness is everywhere. And they want the wedding to happen immediately, so there can be no more talk. I cried so much, I just couldn't help myself. I know that this is from God. I never knew how cruel people can be! It hurts so much coming from those I have known all my life. Mama sang to me, repeating the old psalms to calm me. That helped and I must have fallen to sleep, but I kept waking up, hearing those hurtful words from such familiar voices.

Mama is worried since I am looking do drawn and haggard this morning. We will stay inside and sew the finishing touches on the marriage garments. Mine has to be let out (again!) sine the baby seems to grow my belly by feet instead of inches. I want to be so strong for this little one. Already, I feel like I am so weak. What would I do without my family?

Please stay strong and know we are all praying for your safe delivery!

much love,

Mary

No comments: