Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Advent 1 - Mary letter 3


Give ear to my words, O Lord; give heed to my sighing.
Listen to the sound of my cry, my King and my God,
   for to you I pray. O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I plead my case to you, and watch.


For you are not a God who delights in wickedness; evil will not sojourn with you. The boastful will not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers. You destroy those who speak lies; the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful.


But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love,
   will enter your house, I will bow down towards your holy temple in awe of you. Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness because of my enemies; make your way straight before me.


For there is no truth in their mouths; their hearts are destruction; their throats are open graves; they flatter with their tongues. Make them bear their guilt, O God;
   let them fall by their own counsels;because of their many transgressions cast them out, for they have rebelled against you.


But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, so that those who love your name may exult in you. For you bless the righteous, O Lord; you cover them with favor as with a shield. Psalm 5


Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

Things are moving very rapidly and I do not know how to think about it all. Every day there is some new twist, so new challenge to try to understand. I try to pray and cannot find the words. Joseph and I sat up late last night in the garden, trying to make plans in reaction to his news. He was summoned to Bethlehem for the census! Can you believe it? Before my time has come we are to travel there to join with his extended family in order to be counted. He has never even lived there! He insists I go with him, after we are married, so that I am safe. At first I was upset but really do understand he is trying to protect me, actually protecting us. Before I go I will have to be examined by the wise women to make sure I am safe to travel. His goal is to get me back here so Mama and the wise women I have known all of my life can assist me in the birth.

Auntie, I know I should be more calm, and lay my complete trust in the Lord, as you do. I hold you in my mind as a model to follow. Too often, though, I fall apart. Mama just says it's part of being with child. She says there are moods we all have. Is that true, or is she just trying to make me feel better? She has been very loving, despite the lines that seem to deepen in her face daily. This is taking a toll on all of us.

Papa and Joseph are getting together tonight to make a plan for the trip. They are really worried about safety and want us mostly to travel at night. If we took Mama and Papa with us, I would feel safer, but last night Joseph thought it might draw too much attention if we all disappeared. Ah, well, I keep trying to pray and find words that are stuck deep in my heart.

much love,

Mary

No comments: