Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Wise as Serpents, Innocent as Doves


Jesus said, “See, I am sending you out like sheep into the midst of wolves; so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. Beware of them, for they will hand you over to councils and flog you in their synagogues; and you will be dragged before governors and kings because of me, as a testimony to them and the Gentiles. When they hand you over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you at that time; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; and you will be hated by all because of my name. But the one who endures to the end will be saved. When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next; for truly I tell you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.” Matthew 10:16-23

There are times in my life when I have gotten confused and let people walk all over  me and hurt me trying to keep the peace. There is a campaign on Facebook in recent days, for women who have experience sexual assault and abuse to say, "me too!' I added my name. Too often we women have kept silent because we are afraid of the shame, the discounted reactions, the worsening of punishment. We are called to be wise and innocent, and too often, we have only been innocent, fearing that showing our strength might make life unbearable. It is time to listen to Jesus and to be wise in many more moments.

Jesus knows just how complicated a life of faith can be. He was often criticized for being too political, too cutting edge, too "in your face." Yet, living the love of God is a call to learn and be wise, knowing when to speak and act.  The price of this life of faith is high, and there are many assaults along the way, but we know Jesus walks with us every step. We are invited to be both compassionate and firm,  loving and fierce in the care of those who have no protector.

Today I ask God to help me be wise and innocent, compassionate and firm. Let our words and actions be signs of our faith in Jesus, who walks with us and encouraged us when we fall.

No comments: