Monday, October 23, 2017

Sheep Among Wolves


Jesus said, “See, I am sending you out like sheep into the midst of wolves; so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. Beware of them, for they will hand you over to councils and flog you in their synagogues; and you will be dragged before governors and kings because of me, as a testimony to them and the Gentiles. When they hand you over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you at that time; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; and you will be hated by all because of my name. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.” Matthew 10:16-22

Over the past months, I have had some disheartening experiences where people have attacked me and my ministry. It feels like they are after blood and it hurts me deeply. Sometimes it is easier to recover from physical bruises than the psychological and spiritual ones. I can hear my mother reminding me, " when you are getting close to God, the devil starts working overtime!" It can be hard to step aside from the anger and hurt to remain humble and to continue to do God's work in these kind of times. But we must persevere, for we are never alone.

Jesus cautions the disciples that their ministries will not be easy. And he cautions us. For the disciples,  their precious friend and Savior promised there would be words when needed and we those who endure will be saved. And so will we - be given words when needed and we will never be abandoned or let go. Those who are willing to be humble and to serve will have what they need for each day.

I ask God to help me let go of hurts and humble myself in service. May we remember that we will not be abandoned nor left with out what we need at the time of testing. And may we use our hours and days in compassionate service for the whole world.

No comments: