Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Safe to the Other Side


On that day, when evening had come, Jesus said to them, “Let us go across to the other side.” And leaving the crowd behind, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. Other boats were with him. A great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that the boat was already being swamped. But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke him up and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” He woke up and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” Then the wind ceased, and there was a dead calm. He said to them, “Why are you afraid? Have you still no faith?” And they were filled with great awe and said to one another, “Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?” Mark 4:35-41 

I have been felled with a fever, wicked sore throat and terrible congestion. Here in the midst of summer, while our oldest granddaughter Lilly is visiting, I am knocked out flat. There are moments at night, when waking up with a pounding head and impossible throat, I wonder if I'll get to the other side. I desperately want to be healthy and play endlessly with Lilly. I want to all the things my body won't let me do right now. Living faith help me believe I will get to the other side, but some days, faith can be very hard when the body is weak.

The disciples, who are seasoned fishermen, used to raging storms were completely overwhelmed. All the signs pointed to imminent death. They were not seasoned disciples as yet. They knew the signs of trouble and had a hard time trusting their sleeping friend. They felt ignore. We can also feel ignored by God at times, when the storms rage around us.  God is faithful in all things and will see us to the other side. The storms will rage, yet still God is with us.

Today, I ask God to help me have a child like faith. May we trust God, no matter the circumstances knowing that God has the shoreline in sight and will bring us safely home.

No comments: