Friday, June 2, 2017

Martha, Martha




Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:38-42






Martha, Martha

Always the one who is practical and planning
cleaning and washing, serving and hovering
living the roles I was taught from childhood
we daughters looking on from a distance.

My sister leaves me and her duties
to sit where she does not belong
listening to the teacher as if she was man
as if she was privileged and right.

He will not send her away to help
I am furious and jealous at the same time
I too ache to be sitting among them
learning of God's love for me today.

He tells me she is welcome in that circle
I too am welcomed in at the table
two daughters, plain and simply average
get to sit at the feet of the master.

I am too unsure of myself in this circle
more comfortable in the kitchen
more at home where the women dwell
and ache to be brave like my sister.

Gracious God give me the strength
to walk where I am told I do not belong
to brave criticism, ridiculous expectations
to sit at the table with the lord of love.


 

No comments: