Saturday, April 15, 2017

Have Pity On Me - Holy Saturday

Have pity on me, have pity on me,
O you my friends,
for the hand of God has touched me!
Why do you, like God, pursue me,
never satisfied with my flesh?

“O that my words were written down!
O that they were inscribed in a book!
O that with an iron pen and with lead
they were engraved on a rock forever!
For I know that my Redeemer lives,
and that at the last he will stand upon the earth;
and after my skin has been thus destroyed,
then in my flesh I shall see God,
whom I shall see on my side,
and my eyes shall behold, and not another.
My heart faints within me!” Job 19:21-27a 


 


In This Darkness

In this darkness we wait weeping
full facing our broken promises
our incurable need to be  important
our self-importance removing love.

In this liminal place there is honesty
knowing how little we deserve the love
understanding for once our foolishness
choked by the damage our pride has done.

The perfect one lies dead and pieced
his flesh marked by human creulty
he healed every disease and torment
and took on the pain we so regularly inflict.

Sit and weigh the fullness of death
there is nothing to hold that will not fade
noone to embrace who will not pass over
not a stitch of fabric that will not rot.

In this darkness I repeat the verses
those I do not deserve to say but learned
at a young age when my heart was pure
trusting that despite myself it will be so.

The ancient promises of prophets and kings
the songs of travelers and refugees
the verses when we lay down at night
the anthems sang as we faced the morning.

In this darkness pity me O God
help me to be prepared for an Easter morn
give us all the trusting hearts of children
and the love unending so undeserved.


For I know that my Redeemer lives, and that
 at the last he will stand upon the earth;
and after my skin has been thus destroyed,
then in my flesh I shall see God,
whom I shall see on my side,
and my eyes shall behold, and not another.
My heart faints within me!





 




No comments: