Saturday, December 24, 2016

Christmas Day 2016 Mary Letter Day 28

In that region there were shepherds living in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for see-- I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people: to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a child wrapped in bands of cloth and lying in a manger." And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God and saying,
"Glory to God in the highest heaven,
and on earth peace among those whom he favors!"

When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let us go now to Bethlehem and see this thing that has taken place, which the Lord has made known to us." So they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the child lying in the manger. When they saw this, they made known what had been told them about this child; and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds told them. But Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them. Luke 2:8-20


Dear Mama,

You have a grandson! I just had to write to you and Papa, no matter what the risk might be! I so wish you were here right now and could see everything that has happened. Our accommodations are very humble but everyone has been so kind and helpful. I started in labor early in the morning and it went on for hours. Early on they left me on my own as Joseph and the wise women gathered supplies before the birth. My spirits were very low when I was on my own and I ashamed to admit I cried and screamed a good deal when alone. To my surprise, when the wise women returned, they were delighted with my progress and got me ready for the birth. Joseph came in right after them and they instructed him to support me and hold my hand through each pain. He had been very frightened early on but the women knew just how to help both of us through. Ruth, Marian and Sarah will be honored in my heart forever! He was born late, late into the night, perfect and howling, strong and sweet. He settled as soon as I held him and at once, I couldn't imagine why I had been so afraid. 

Once the women had cleaned me up and gotten us settled, they left us alone with some wonderful food. I didn't realize how hungry I was! As we were eating our supper, I was holding our little boy, rocking and singing, we had visitors, Mama. In the middle of the night! Can you imagine? Shepherds came running to us, their sheep following behind, with a message just for us. In this humble place, this  unsophisticated, isolated place, they told us of heavenly visitors who told them to find us and to share God's good news and love. In the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere, far from home, God found us, called out others to confirm the presence of the Divine. I can hardly sleep now, just watching this incredible gift, this needy and vulnerable being, the gift that God gave us, which we will share with the world - which we already have shared with shepherds and wise women!

Mama and Papa, please know I love you deeply and completely and want to bring home this child to share with you. I ached for you Mama, while I was so alone but knew in my heart you were praying for me. Your love has taught me so much and I expect, the love of this child will also teach me more than I can imagine.

For now, sending love, joy and peace,

Mary

No comments: