Monday, December 26, 2016

Christmas 2016 Mary Letter Day 29

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being in him was life, and the life was the light of all people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.
There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. He himself was not the light, but he came to testify to the light. The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.
He was in the world, and the world came into being through him; yet the world did not know him. He came to what was his own, and his own people did not accept him. But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God, who were born, not of blood or of the will of the flesh or of the will of man, but of God.
And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father's only son, full of grace and truth. John 1:1-14

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

He is here! Our sweet child, promised of God arrived. We made it to Bethlehem and were given very rough accommodations and I was terrified and worried. Somehow, it all worked out and we were given help in so many ways. They found wise women to help me through the birth and have fed us like royalty these past few days. It seems anything we need, someone is already one step ahead of us and it arrives unbidden but perfectly timed. I have been told to rest and to heal for the next few days, so I am being pampered and coddled. Even here, in this rough shelter at the end of the garden, feels like a palace for a king with the kindness and mercy we have received. Everything I feared had become now miraculous and unexpectedly wonderful. God seems to have a way of dissolving tears into light.

Auntie, I let Mama know that the child has come and we are fine. Would you check on her since I know she worries so? I guess she can't help being a mother - now being one I think I understand. The night of his birth we were visited by shepherds who told us an amazing story. I didn't want them to come near me or the child. Something rose up inside of me that made me want to defend my little one from all outside threats. Joseph promised they wouldn't harm us, so I relented and they all came in, even some of their herd! They had the most extraordinary story to tell us. They were visited by angels who told them to come and and see, the child of God born into the world! They were so excited and thrilled just to be here that my heart melted with joy and kindness. They brought out their instruments and sang for us! What a night! God is good on the promises made and I am truly sorry for ever doubting - I only hope I can be a good enough mother for this long awaited baby.

Sending love across the miles,


Mary


No comments: