Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Advent 2016 Mary Letter Day 3


Jesus began to tell the people this parable: “A man planted a vineyard, and leased it to tenants, and went to another country for a long time. When the season came, he sent a slave to the tenants in order that they might give him his share of the produce of the vineyard; but the tenants beat him and sent him away empty-handed. Next he sent another slave; that one also they beat and insulted and sent away empty-handed. And he sent still a third; this one also they wounded and threw out. Then the owner of the vineyard said, ‘What shall I do? I will send my beloved son; perhaps they will respect him.’ But when the tenants saw him, they discussed it among themselves and said, ‘This is the heir; let us kill him so that the inheritance may be ours.’ So they threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. What then will the owner of the vineyard do to them? He will come and destroy those tenants and give the vineyard to others.” When they heard this, they said, “Heaven forbid!” But he looked at them and said, “What then does this text mean: ‘The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone’? Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces; and it will crush anyone on whom it falls.” Luke 20:9-18

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

I was out hanging laundry with Mama today. The sun was warm but not too hot and it was lovely and peaceful for a moment as we worked together. We talked about nothing important and it felt so nice and sweet after all that has happened. We were even singing together a bit - how about that? She has been so stressed and I know she is angry with me. I can tell that by how silent she has been. But for a moment this morning, standing out in the sun amidst the freshly wash sheets swinging in the breeze I felt everything was going to be all right. How I wished that feeling had lasted a bit longer.

As we were at our work, some young men from the village passed by. They started saying terrible things about me, one after another, one worse than the preceding one. It was as if the grew bolder with each taunt. Mama got very afraid and screamed to me to go inside. I ran and fell as I was going but nothing was hurt but my feeling. Mama went out and confronted them and Poppa came along to help her. Now they want to keep me inside all the time for my own safety. Am I to be a prisoner for something God has done? \

I am so sad that I cannot eat even. I've taken to my bed. Please pray since I have lost all my strength today.

Love,

Mary




No comments: