Monday, November 28, 2016

Advent 2016 Mary Letter Day 2


One day, as Jesus was teaching the people in the temple and telling the good news, the chief priests and the scribes came with the elders and said to him, “Tell us, by what authority are you doing these things? Who is it who gave you this authority?” He answered them, “I will also ask you a question, and you tell me: Did the baptism of John come from heaven, or was it of human origin?” They discussed it with one another, saying, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will say, ‘Why did you not believe him?’ But if we say, ‘Of human origin,’ all the people will stone us; for they are convinced that John was a prophet.” So they answered that they did not know where it came from. Then Jesus said to them, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.” Luke 20:1-8

Dear Auntie,

So this happened today. Joseph came running over to our house, almost bursting in, and wanted to talk to me right away. He was nearly in tears! I have never seen him this way, really. He has gotten word that we will have to travel down to Bethlehem to be registered. Going to that dirty, bustling city is a challenge at normal times but this is anything but normal. On top of everything else, I have to travel with him while carrying this child for the registration! I will be so big when we go and I was so hoping to have Mama by my side. Now everything is a mess - again, some more. Poppa and Mama are in tears as well, since going to Bethlehem will be a hard journey for me at the end of my time and I could die. The household is in an upheaval and I just want to crawl under the covers and hide.

Aunt Elizabeth, I know you would come if you could to see me. I know you have you hands full with other things. Your positive outcome gives me hope today. The people around me, who are supposed to be helping me are acting like they're the ones who are pregnant. They act like they're the ones who have to waddle around, weighted down by this new life, looking like some sideshow rather than a young woman. None of my friends come to visit me now, like they used to. My growing belly has frightened them away.

Please pray for me, and for us. We will find a way forward but today seems very bleak. The sky decided to darkened and pour down rain, as if it knows how troubled our lives truly are today. And if there is anything you can do to comfort Mama, I would be so grateful. She seems so old and weary these days. And please write to me. Hearing from you always restores my hope.

love

Mary

No comments: