Sunday, October 23, 2016

Humility

Jesus told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, `God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.' But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, `God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted." Luse 18:9-14

I have had a batch of tests lately. Being sixty it seems lots of systems get challenged. Right now I have  a mysterious infection they cannot seem to identify. Tests answer probing make one very humble, as bits are examined and a series of questions are asked over and over. One can not be proud or shy in these circumstances. Age itelf challenges pridesign and learning to ask for help is a new way of being humble.

Jesus is talking to those who are in roles of leadership about humility and therefore to all of us. We can get so full of ourselves we forget how human and broken we are. The tax collector reminds us that we are in need, daily need of forgiveness and salvation. That humilityou and human fragility are a gift and a vehicle to drawing closet to the heart of God.

Today I ask God tohelp me joy in my humanity and be ever willing to be humble in all things. May we draw  closers to God as we accept

No comments: