Thursday, August 18, 2016

Walking On Water


When evening came, Jesus’ disciples went down to the sea, got into a boat, and started across the sea to Capernaum. It was now dark, and Jesus had not yet come to them. The sea became rough because a strong wind was blowing. When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea and coming near the boat, and they were terrified. But he said to them, “It is I; do not be afraid.” Then they wanted to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the land toward which they were going. The next day the crowd that had stayed on the other side of the sea saw that there had been only one boat there. They also saw that Jesus had not got into the boat with his disciples, but that his disciples had gone away alone. Then some boats from Tiberias came near the place where they had eaten the bread after the Lord had given thanks. So when the crowd saw that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they themselves got into the boats and went to Capernaum looking for Jesus.
When they found him on the other side of the sea, they said to him, “Rabbi, when did you come here?” Jesus answered them, “Very truly, I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves. Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal.” John 6:16-27 

Walking On Water 

In my dreams we walk on water
although waking we know the solid truth
we are earth bound and gravity defined
floating and swimming we can obtain
but we never have complete command.

In my nightmares I am swallowed up
the storm surrounds and has me undone
I cry out loud but there is no sound
the reality of drowning is often silence
the truth of our storms are the victims.

In our daily lives there is little victory
rich rulers still triumph over small ones
their tirades and storms destroy and do not build
they do not walk on water but drown the poor.

On my daily walk in faith I often stumble
I focus on the storms and shut out the hope
the distance voice that reassures and invites
It is I, Do not fear is daily drowned out
by the terrified loud beating of my heart.

In this day we are tossed by violent winds
there is no shelter for the weak and the innocent
the rescue teams are often slow in arriving if at all
still a voice sounds do not be afraid this day
for I am here and calm every tyrant and storm.


No comments: