Saturday, May 7, 2016

Make Me Clean


Now when Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were astounded at his teaching, for he taught them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.
When Jesus had come down from the mountain, great crowds followed him; and there was a leper who came to him and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, if you choose, you can make me clean.” He stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, “I do choose. Be made clean!” Immediately his leprosy was cleansed. Then Jesus said to him, “See that you say nothing to anyone; but go, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.” Matthew 7:28—8:4 


Make Me Clean

I wear all mistakes on my flesh
others glide by without blemish
my sins cover me over and over
my only identity is my sinfulness.

I wear the jumpsuit of a prisoner
the torn and dirty clothes of the homeless
the repulsive dying skin of leprosy
the bend and twisted body of disease.

I am what people choose to put aside
they turn from me and hasten steps
the beautiful, the slim and wealthy
assume I am deserving of my fate.

I wear the wounds of a selfish world
they try to blame me for their discomfort
I live in their tossed off goods and shelters
knowing God see the behavior of us all.

At the end of the greatest teaching moment
the living God bent to the lowliest one
with love and tenderness in his eyes
said I am willing and made him clean.

I wear the wounds of the selfish world
there is more than what the world can see
there is a broken heart mended by love
a spirit renewed by the touch of God.




 

No comments: