Thursday, May 19, 2016

Gentle and Humble in Heart



 At that time Jesus said, ‘I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
 ‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’ Matthew 11:25-30


Gentle and Humble of Heart 

The music of Handel's Messiah rings
her head full of song and line
the old stage fright and anxiety
shrugged off onto stronger shoulders.

Afraid of stumbling and cruel failure
scared to not have enough for the children
terrified by the postponement of promises
sleep is never easy nor nearby.

The living One among us has promised
despite the trends, the seas and abuse
we will be born by gentleness and light
carried into the new days' dawn.

So often we try to carry ourselves
pull ourselves up and put on the face
self-reliance and strong will evaporate
into our regular and familiar night terrors.

The music swells, the frightened child begins
"come unto him all ye that labor"
the crowd is hushed and silent that night
for their hearts have heard the truth.
 
 


No comments: