Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Mary Letters - Day 4

The Lord appointed seventy others and sent them on ahead of him in pairs to every town and place where he himself intended to go. He said to them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest. Go on your way. See, I am sending you out like lambs into the midst of wolves. Carry no purse, no bag, no sandals; and greet no one on the road. Whatever house you enter, first say, `Peace to this house!' And if anyone is there who shares in peace, your peace will rest on that person; but if not, it will return to you. Remain in the same house, eating and drinking whatever they provide, for the laborer deserves to be paid. Do not move about from house to house. Whenever you enter a town and its people welcome you, eat what is set before you; cure the sick who are there, and say to them, `The kingdom of God has come near to you.' Luke 10:1-9



Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

Today has been full of so many challenges. Men arrived at our door from our Temple to talk with Daddy. I hid in my room but the raised voices were certainly audible. They condemned Daddy faithfulness and threatened to have me stoned and them shunned from temple. Momma came and hid with me, weeping silently and holding me tight. Joseph arrived on the scene - I think our neighbors called for him - and helped calm the situation down. He deflected to anger from Daddy to himself. It seemed like hours went by but the men finally left. I knew each face so well, and tears sprang from my eyes as I looked upon these angry faces, good men who wanted violence for me and my family. Loving fathers and grandfathers blood thirsty and poised to attack.

Afterwards, Joseph and my Dad hatched a plan. It is still not clear what will happen but it sounds like I have to leave here soon. I cannot bear to be away from Momma, and my time is almost here. What am I going to do without her? I've never had a baby before. What if I am somewhere without any help from the wise women and my mother. I have spent most of the day in my room and I cannot eat at all. I am just way too upset at this point. I didn't do anything wrong and all of the sudden I am being treated like a criminal!

Auntie, I have to sleep I am so exhausted. Momma says your baby could come any day now. I will focus my prayers on you. Maybe that will help me get over some of the events of the day.

love

Mary


No comments: