Sunday, December 13, 2015

Mary Letters - Day 15




Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:4-7

Dear Auntie Elizabeth,

It was a rough night of travel. The men have planned a route for us that will take us through the hills at night for the next few days. The road was winding, the only light the moon and stars. We stopped often. I ache like I have never ached before. Joseph kept up my spirits, which were lagging. I wanted to cry the whole time. We slept like the dead at the end of it all in a cave that the sheepherders use in bad weather. You can guess how it smells!  But we've had some food and will set out again when the day ends. 

This journey and all the preparation have been quite a challenge for me. I guess I'm growing up quickly! The anger and fear that surrounded us at home has been replaced by a sense of hope. People are ready to help us, as if they sense something wonderful is about to happen. I don't tell them our story because I know they will think we are crazy or just bad people. They seem to sense a near presence of God. Nobody at home had any sense but gave into fear and suspicion. I do wish Momma and Daddy were on the road with me. I still feel like such a child some times too.

I have learned to pray with every bump and ache. It seems to quiet my spirit and delight the baby. Joseph is so gentle and patient with me. I feel blessed by his love and care. He has really shown me a whole new Joseph, now that we are away from the scrutiny and gossip of home.

Writing you helps me remember that we are never alone and that we are following God. We both said yes to impossible circumstances and our Lord promises to see us through. There are times when I wish it was easier!

Much love,

Mary

 







Collect
Stir up your power, O Lord, and with great might come among us; and, because we are sorely hindered by our sins, let your bountiful grace and mercy speedily help and deliver us; through Jesus Christ our Lord, to whom, with you and the Holy Spirit, be honor and glory, now and for ever. Amen.

No comments: