Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Mary Letters- Day 10

When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together, and one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. "Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?" He said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."
Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them this question: "What do you think of the Messiah? Whose son is he?" They said to him, "The son of David." He said to them, "How is it then that David by the Spirit calls him Lord, saying,
'The Lord said to my Lord,
"Sit at my right hand,
until I put your enemies under your feet"'?
If David thus calls him Lord, how can he be his son?" No one was able to give him an answer, nor from that day did anyone dare to ask him any more questions. Matthew 22:34-46 

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,
I thought I would never get a chance to write to you today. It is very late, and we left home after the sun had completely set. We are staying several towns from home tonight, in a very small space, counting on the kindness of an elderly couple. They grew up with Daddy and now are harboring us in their later years. Anyway, I had to wait until they were sound asleep to write to you.
Oh, it was so hard to say goodbye to Momma and Daddy. Momma and I wept in each others arms despite the fact that both of us didn't want to fall apart. Joseph has been pretty silent, shaking my Daddy's hand and saying that he would take good care of me. My parents told us to stay here for a few days until they deliver some more supplies for our travels. They wanted us to get out tonight as antagonism of our religious leaders were growing to a fevered pitch. 
I know that everyone is trying to protect me but I feel like a fish out of water. trying to get my bearing and often gasping for breath. Riding on the donkey while being this pregnant is impossible. I am in pain tonight and the baby seems to be jumpy and irritable. I guess even the child of God can get irritated.
Well, it's time for lights out. We will have to wait for our supplies to come in this cramped place. I only hope the weather holds so I can sit outside under a tree.
Much love
Mary

No comments: