Monday, November 30, 2015

Praying the Psalms - Mary letters day 2


The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul.

He leads me in right paths for his name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff— they comfort me.


You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil;
   my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long. Psalm 23


Dearest Auntie,

Today has been so hard, I can barely put it into words. Another girl here has been ridiculed and tortured for her behavior for so long that she gave in to despair. They found her lifeless body at the foot of the cliffs nearby. She may have done some things wrong, but her heart was good and no one should be treated as she was. I too have been on the receiving end of the shaming and shunning. I have held her hand in the past when she was overwhelmed. Why didn't she come to me or someone for help and support?

Auntie, I have been praying King David's psalms to keep myself strong. I too know too well what it is like to be engulfed by despair and fear. It gives me courage that even the greatest king ever had real human anxiety, fear and enemies. And he knew God to bring him to places of comfort, safety and fullness. I am sure you too have been facing great challenges. Please pray for me in this time, for anger and violence seem only to be escalating and faithful voices are being drowned out.

And pray for my friend and her family. I know God loves her and is holding her in his loving arms.

love always,

Mary

No comments: