Tuesday, October 20, 2015

My Yoke is Easy


At that time Jesus said, "I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
"Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11:25-30 

I am visiting with our daughter Ariel in Allentown. She gave birth on Saturday to our second grand child, Silas. He is strong and healthy with a full head of hair. The gift of children is like no other. It is a terrific responsibility and yet it is also the most amazing blessing. There is more mess and chaos than anyone can imagine. And there is more gift and joy in each little one than we can wrap our minds around. It is a heavy burden and yet love make the load so light.
Jesus invites us to bear the burden of love. We labor so hard and fight against the terrors of this world and yet, the Lord of life invites us to rest, as an infant in a mother's arms, as a weary child in the comfort of a soft bed. We are invited to recognize the tremendous  gift and responsibility that we have been given in carrying God's love into the world. And we are also blessed with unlimited measure of joy, comfort and renewal.
Today I ask God to help me live fully in this present moment. May we lighten our burdens by sharing them with one another and with God. And may we know the blessed rest, renewal and joy of carrying love into the world.

No comments: