Wednesday, October 14, 2015

More Valuable than Sparrows

Jesus said, "A disciple is not above the teacher, nor a slave above the master; it is enough for the disciple to be like the teacher, and the slave like the master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his household!
"So have no fear of them; for nothing is covered up that will not be uncovered, and nothing secret that will not become known. What I say to you in the dark, tell in the light; and what you hear whispered, proclaim from the housetops. Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. And even the hairs of your head are all counted. So do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows.
"Everyone therefore who acknowledges me before others, I also will acknowledge before my Father in heaven; but whoever denies me before others, I also will deny before my Father in heaven." Matthew 10:24-33 
We all feel insignificant and overlooked at times. I was one of those kids who got chosen last when choosing up teams for each side in a school house game.  Not terribly coordinated, I got used to standing along the fence and realizing eventually someone would have to take me. We can get used to the idea that we are insignificant and not needed. We are often very wrong, and the people who need us in their lives, would suffer much without us.
Jesus is teaching the disciples of their value and how God values each and every life on this planet. We are worth more than sparrows, and yet even the insignificant and overlooked are precious in God's eyes. Love has the capacity to honor all, big and small, famous and hidden. God's love is enough for all the trials we face, the good days and the bad alike. We are never overlooked or not cared for by God. We are precious, each and everyone.
Today I ask God to let me revel in being beloved of God. May we make this day one where we honor all of Creation, and shot from the mountain tops about the love we have received. May our lives reflect the importance of divine love in our lives.

No comments: