Friday, March 20, 2015

True Food

The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" So Jesus said to them, "Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever." He said these things while he was teaching in the synagogue at Capernaum. John 6:52-59 

I just arrived in Helena and have to head to the grocery stores. After many weeks of being away, there is much to get for the weeks ahead. The grocery store can also be a temptation to buy easy, quick meals instead of healthier foods that take time and preparation.  We can all get distracted by the cookies and the sweets, the microwave fast food. We also know that we need to feed our bodies in ways that strengthens them rather than tears them down.

Jesus is again being questioned by the religious leaders. He wants very much for the to understand that his life is a gift that brings them eternal life. What he offers is eternal. Like all humans, they want a quick fix, a fast solution, a simple fix for a complex need. They want to be satisfied without relationship or understanding. God invites us today to seek a deeper relationship with the eternal, a living, complex relationship with the author of life.

Today, as I settle in here, I ask God to help me seek always after relationship and participation. May all of us who struggle and are tempted know that God understands our needs before wee do, and is making a way forward for us all. Not only in the present struggles, but for everlasting.

No comments: