Friday, January 9, 2015

Servants

Jesus called his disciples and said to them, "You know that among the Gentiles those whom they recognize as their rulers lord it over them, and their great ones are tyrants over them. But it is not so among you; but whoever wishes to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you must be slave of all. For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many."  Mark 10:42-45

I spent the morning visiting St. Micheal's in Fruitland and sheep camp with my dear friend Cornelia and the Bishops of Province 8.Although I have been to both places before I enjoy being with those who are experiencing these special places for the first time and hearing the stories of those who have labored and served for generations. Key, the sheep herder met us out at camp, and I was struck by his faithfulness and constancy. The weather beaten face could not hide the sparkle in his eyes, and the joy he has in caring for the sheep. It's a tough job, and yet he delights in what he does. I thought I hope we bishops who are gathered are able to have the joy in serving as he does.

Jesus reminds us that we are not to be like the captains of industry, or the bosses in our world. We are called to be servant leaders, to lay our lives down, along with our attitudes and egos, for all we encounter. We are called to shed our needs, listening and responding to the needs around us. We are invited to find ourselves on our hands and knees if we are called to be leaders.

Today I ask God to help me be the humble leader I am called to be. May  we be ready at all times to give away our ideas in order to make room for those in our care. May we put down our expectations in order to make room for love. May we let in the love of Christ into our beings, and be servants today and always.

No comments: