Saturday, December 27, 2014

Mary Letter - Day 27 - From the Beginning

The LORD created me at the beginning of his work,  the first of his acts of long ago.
Ages ago I was set up, at the first, before the beginning of the earth.
When there were no depths I was brought forth, when there were no springs abounding with water.
Before the mountains had been shaped, before the hills, I was brought forth — when he had not yet made earth and fields, or the world's first bits of soil.
When he established the heavens, I was there, when he drew a circle on the face of the deep, when he made firm the skies above when he established the fountains of the deep, when he assigned to the sea its limit, so that the waters might not transgress his command, when he marked out the foundations of the earth, then I was beside him, like a master worker; and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always. Proverbs 8:22-30 

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

they want me to rest as much as possible. I am surrounded by women with so much advice. I cannot complain because they are doing everything for me - bringing food, watching the baby while I sleep, doing our laundry - they seem thrilled to have us around. As horrible as I thought this experience was going to be, it has turned out to be just the opposite. I decided to write a song of gratitude to God, like King David did long ago. Besides, there's not much else for me to do. Everyone is fussing over us so much!

From the Beginning

So small and hidden away
yet marvelous and wondrous
God has come to a simple stable
to dwell with the meek and lowly.

A small hand with tiny digits
wrapped around a mother's finger
love enfolded in perfect harmony
God has come to dwell with us.

A simple cry and human needs
we are blessed to host the living God
the Lord who does not shun our bodies
willing to live in the humblest of homes.

A mother's love he truly needs
a community of support from strangers
he needs our hands and hearts today
to bring God's love to fullness now.

How blessed and special we feel
for God has chosen us to bring
the living God to all nations now
to nurture the child who would be king.

And yet he is already ruling our hearts
love so deep we are broken open
God's love so marvelous and fine
that we are welcomed and embraced.

Much love,

Mary

 

No comments: