Friday, October 24, 2014

Martha, Martha


Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.”  Luke 10:38-42

I am sometime Martha, and sometimes Mary. There is always more work to be done. Everyday I look around and see the things I left undone yesterday and grieve my inability to get everything done. And yet, when I take time to delight in God's creation, when I take time to draw near to beloved family and friends, when I take time to listen to the still small voice, I find I am renewed and restored for the work ahead.

Jesus is visiting with beloved friends. His dear friend Martha is overworked and her sister, who by all rights should be helping out, is sitting soaking in every word of Jesus.  Martha's complaint is heard by Jesus. But instead of ordering Mary to do her "womanly" duties, he invites Martha to take a rest, to sit and be fed as well. Sometimes we think that the tasks are most important, but God reminds us today that the relationships we have take precedence always.

Today I ask God to help me take the time that God provides, and to take time with others, trusting that we will find God in our midst. May we all choose the better part, sitting with the words and people of God, soaking in the love and strength we need for the road ahead.


No comments: