Thursday, September 25, 2014

Wash One Another's Feet






 After he had washed their feet, had put on his robe, and had returned to the table, he said to them, ‘Do you know what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord—and you are right, for that is what I am. So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you. Very truly, I tell you, servants are not greater than their master, nor are messengers greater than the one who sent them. If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them. John 13:12-17




We spent the morning on Thursday touring the Hiroshima museum and the peace garden. One little boy, probably 9 or 10 buried his face in his friend's backpack to hide his tears. It was overwhelming to see what anger and war can reduce people to - to violence and destruction beyond understanding. I was profoundly moved, and the tears came over and over again. The folks who are leading us around and caring for us are so kind and attentive. Despite all they have suffered, they are living lives of service and peace. A remarkable witness.

Jesus, at a most fragile time in his life, on the eve of his own destruction, washes his disciples' feet. He sets this as a model for them and for all of us, to act as servants to one another, to lead lives worthy of God by serving others. Our anger, violence and selfishness are not of God. And reaching down and caring for others is.

Today, I ask God to help me be truly humble and move to serve others at all times. May we be broken open anew, with hearts that ache for peace. May we bring God's peace and love by offering up our arrogance to the service of others. May we follow Christ by being servants to all we encounter today.

No comments: