Monday, September 29, 2014

Angels


When Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him, he said of him, "Here is truly an Israelite in whom there is no deceit!" Nathanael asked him, "Where did you get to know me?" Jesus answered, "I saw you under the fig tree before Philip called you." Nathanael replied, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!" Jesus answered, "Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than these." And he said to him, "Very truly, I tell you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man." John 1:47-51

Angels

I dream of heavenly visitors
dressed in simple clothes
suits of seersucker and linen
coming to collect the lost.

In dreams they know my name
and call me from the crowd
bringing comfort and home
in a fraught and worried setting.

When fear rises and betrayal begins
they come to calm the fevered brow
they simply visit to remind us of love
beyond time and our mortal frames.

Where there has been deep sorrow
they weep with us but do not linger
an out stretched hand beckons us
beyond the limits of our age.

We mortal fall asleep to awaken
the immortal love and light
renewing our mornings with hope
giving us courage to persevere.
 

No comments: