Wednesday, July 9, 2014

As An Alien in the Land


Deal bountifully with your servant,
   so that I may live and observe your word.
Open my eyes, so that I may behold
   wondrous things out of your law.
I live as an alien in the land;
   do not hide your commandments from me.
My soul is consumed with longing
   for your ordinances at all times.
You rebuke the insolent, accursed ones,
   who wander from your commandments;
take away from me their scorn and contempt,
   for I have kept your decrees.
Even though princes sit plotting against me,
   your servant will meditate on your statutes.
Your decrees are my delight,
   they are my counselors. Psalm 119:17-24





My Mom has been in the ICU for 5 night now. She says it's a strange land, where machines whir, beep and scream. Since he can't use her arms very well, she can't ring a bell for the nurses, but she can watch them scurry about. To go from being in complete control one day and completely helpless the next. She has always liked being in charge and in her own space. Now she is an alien in this land so she holds on tight to God's promises.

The psalmist understood what is was to be an alien in one's home territory, He understood what it was to be turned against by loved ones and allies. The psalm rings of total trust in God despite the strange and alienating circumstances. We are invited to acknowledge the dislocations in our present time ad cling to God's love in the most anxious of times.

Today, as we prepare for the long recovery, I ask God for patience and wisdom as we take steps forward. May we be those who cling to God's love in troubled and anxious times. And may we rejoice in the love and blessings we have today.

No comments: