Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Questioning

 
 
Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them this question: "What do you think of the Messiah? Whose son is he?" They said to him, "The son of David." He said to them, "How is it then that David by the Spirit calls him Lord, saying,
'The Lord said to my Lord,
"Sit at my right hand,
until I put your enemies under your feet"'?
If David thus calls him Lord, how can he be his son?" No one was able to give him an answer, nor from that day did anyone dare to ask him any more questions. Matthew 22:41-46
 
It is normal for us to ask questions and a sign of intelligence and curiosity when we do. Sometimes our questions can reveal our anxiety about our present and future. I have lots of questions for God about the next steps in our adventure. It is never easy to be on the brink of a new direction when nothing has been made clear. We can struggle and imagine the worse case scenario and loose sleep over the what ifs. I choose to offer my fears and anxiety in prayer, trusting that God is with me, calling me on.
 
The religious leaders are asking questions to test Jesus. They are not trying to be curious or learn, nor are they admitting to the vulnerability. Instead they are playing games with questions, trying to catch him in falsehood. Instead of playing the game, Jesus offers another question, which in the end silences them. They were not interested in being vulnerable and open to God. Jesus invites us to the place beyond joking and teasing, to a place of real vulnerability and need. The Divine invites us to ask for the real needs we have so that the Creator might be revealed in our lives.
 
Today I ask God to help me ask for the help I need in the days to come. May we not spend time in worry, but rather ask for our needs and those around us. May we trust that God is working in this situation as well as God has been working from the beginning of creation. May we know God as we pray our needs today.

No comments: