Sunday, May 25, 2014

I Will Not Leave You Orphaned

 
Jesus said to his disciples, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.
"I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live. On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them." John 14:15-21
 
 Transitions are certainly difficult. We humans rarely embrace change willingly. We often run from it or get mad. Some of us take it personally and get hurt or hurt others. In reality, change is part of everyday life, and it is something we are invited to embrace. For God has promised to be with us, revealed and present in everything we do. We will not be left alone or orphaned even of the changes we face make us fear for that.
 
Jesus was comforting his disciples in anticipation of his final days. They were not fearful then but they would be. We know that they fell apart and were terrified after the crucifixion. We know they hid away trying to make sense of things and to move forward. He had given them the commandment to love one another and it was by living this commandment, day by day, that God' presence in Christ became real again for them.
 
Today I ask God to help me love others fully and to accept the unknown ahead of us with joy. May we trust that God in in the midst of our every moment as we move to uncertain times ahead. May love be our command this day and always.

The Collect

O God, you have prepared for those who love you such good things as surpass our understanding: Pour into our hearts such love towards you, that we, loving you in all things and above all things, may obtain your promises, which exceed all that we can desire; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments: