Monday, April 14, 2014

Holy Week with Mary


On the following day, when they came from Bethany, Jesus was hungry. Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see whether perhaps he would find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. He said to it, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard it.
Then they came to Jerusalem. And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who were selling and those who were buying in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves; and he would not allow anyone to carry anything through the temple. He was teaching and saying, "Is it not written,
'My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations'? But you have made it a den of robbers."
And when the chief priests and the scribes heard it, they kept looking for a way to kill him; for they were afraid of him, because the whole crowd was spellbound by his teaching. And when evening came, Jesus and his disciples went out of the city.
In the morning as they passed by, they saw the fig tree withered away to its roots. Then Peter remembered and said to him, "Rabbi, look! The fig tree that you cursed has withered." Jesus answered them, "Have faith in God. Truly I tell you, if you say to this mountain, 'Be taken up and thrown into the sea,' and if you do not doubt in your heart, but believe that what you say will come to pass, it will be done for you. So I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
"Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone; so that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses." Mark 11:12-25 

Mary's Diary - Day One of Holy Week
 
In everything, he is my son, still tender to his mother. And yet in these last days and weeks, he has pushed so hard. And he seems to be stirring up anger from the temple leaders everywhere he goes. I am afraid for him. His followers know that going to Jerusalem is dangerous, but they can't seem to stop him. I talked with Peter and John the other day, and they said they would try to keep him safe. He has something within him, this God-man, my son, which propels him with a fiery spirit, challenging all greed, corruption and abuse he comes across. I have a hard time watching him when he is so fired up. And yet I know he is called to this. I know, because I said yes to God, all those many years ago.  I can't help aching for my child.

He seems to need little sleep these days and he does not eat enough. Although he told me to stay home with the other children, I cannot help but follow him. He does not realize that his life started out on a rugged journey, that rough road to Bethlehem. I cannot help but go with to Jerusalem, although deep in my heart I am very troubled.Our children never stop being our children, and I cannot help but worry and be fearful. My family is all grown and Joseph passed so many years ago. All's that I have left to do is to follow my son, wherever he may go. I thought that they might arrest him today when he cleared the temple. What a mess - the screaming and shouting, animals and people flying at each other -and yet, when things finally settled down, we found ourselves safe and alone. For a moment then, there was peace.

For this mother, Lord God, I pray for peace in my troubled heart. May I hear the words of the angel once more. "Fear not, the Lord is with you!" May the simple faith of my youth return to me, and may God give me the strength for the days ahead.

No comments: