Tuesday, February 4, 2014

For the Life of the World



Then the Jews began to complain about Jesus because he said, "I am the bread that came down from heaven." They were saying, "Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can he now say, 'I have come down from heaven'?" Jesus answered them, "Do not complain among yourselves. No one can come to me unless drawn by the Father who sent me; and I will raise that person up on the last day. It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me. Not that anyone has seen the Father except the one who is from God; he has seen the Father. Very truly, I tell you, whoever believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life. Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh."
John 6:41-51


For the Life of the World

Like us walking and wandering
along desert and seaside paths
giving all himself for them
giving all himself for all.

The followers did not know us
our ancient and familiar ways
they did not our tongues or stories
but they knew it was for all.

The missionaries carried bread
and wanted to offer it all
but they feared our constant drumming
and worried about our sings,

They wanted to change us to save us
wanted to give us new names
but our songs already knew the love
that the teacher had long ago promised.

We live forever in our ancient ways
the way that welcomes the Creator's love
which invites the bread and wine
to come to the circle and dwell with us.




No comments: