Thursday, October 24, 2013

A Bruised Reed

Jesus, aware of this, withdrew from there. And many followed him, and he healed them all and ordered them not to make him known. This was to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah:

“Behold, my servant whom I have chosen,

my beloved with whom my soul is well pleased.

I will put my Spirit upon him,

and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles.

He will not quarrel or cry aloud,

nor will anyone hear his voice in the streets;

a bruised reed he will not break,

and a smoldering wick he will not quench,

until he brings justice to victory;

and in his name the Gentiles will hope.”
Matthew 12:15-21


Last year, when I was recovering from back surgery, very simple things took all my effort. I felt like a bruised reed, ready to snap at any minute. Healing happened and as time went by even the bruised and atrophied places gained strength. The gentle continuous work of healing is always tender and always hopeful.

Jesus went away from the criticism of the religious leaders and went out to the people. His work was continuous, healing them and asking for their silence. His healing is tender and hopeful and never boastful. God's love and healing is not about victory but about justice and tenderness, God's active love is more often a whisper than a shout. God invites us to participate in the ongoing work of love, by being those who bring tenderness and kindness to the broken and discouraged.

Today I ask God for an extra measure of tenderness and patience. May we be given sight to see the hidden bruises and the internal brokenness around us. May we offer a quiet hope, kindness and care, to the aching world around us.

No comments: