Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Meal Together

And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him. And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves. For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood." Luke 22:14-31

It is always wonderful to have people to share a meal with, and even better if it is a meal shared with those you love. Sometimes at family dinners arguments can break out and unkind words are said. And yet, these are the moments we remember and treasure, they shape who we are and define our lives ahead.

The hour has come for the final drama and passion. The disciples remember this moment and treasure the words that were said. As Christians, these are the words and actions that define us, the words spoken, centuries ago at table with dear friends. These words and actions make us who we are, one family in Christ through the drama and passion of Christ. The common meal is our common heritage and week by week we participate in the meal as a family gathered together. Although it is not always easy, like any family meal, we are drawn together and defined as we eat this simple meal together.

Today I ask God to help me embrace the whole family of God. May we find moments and opportunities to share ta meal with others as one family united by sacrifice. May we find blessing today in our common lives, our common heritage and be ever shaped by Christ's love and sacrifice for us all.

No comments: