Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day



Jesus prayed for his disciples, and then he said. "I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

"Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them."John 17:20-26


My mother is one of those people that always wanted to get everyone together and have a "big" time. Nothing fancy in her book, just family and friends gathering around eating and talking. At 90, she will still host her annual bicycle parade that ends on her lawn. The whole town, almost, gathers to eat cookies, drink cool aid and eat water ice. It a big time social event that has been going on for more than forty years. She likes getting people together, loving one another and enjoying God's blessings.

Jesus is praying for his disciples as he anticipates leaving them. He wants them to get along, to be people who enjoy together God's blessing. He wants them and us to be one people together. It is truly easier said than done. We know that the disciples and the early church had painful disagreements and heart rending divisions. They were human as we are too. But God's desire for us is to be one, to get together and have a "big" time together, enjoying God's riches and blessings.

Today as we celebrate Mother's Day, may we be given to honoring those who have loved us first by loving one another. May we set aside our divisions so that we can enjoy God's blessings. May we see how much better we are together than apart. And may we know God's love as we gather as one people together.



Collect

O God, the King of glory, you have exalted your only Son Jesus Christ with great triumph to your kingdom in heaven: Do not leave us comfortless, but send us your Holy Spirit to strengthen us, and exalt us to that place where our Savior Christ has gone before; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

No comments: