Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Lost


Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.”

So he told them this parable: “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’ Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance. Luke 15:1-7


Lost

I wandered off the main trail
far from home and alone
distracted by a million things
and wanting my own way.

Now my aching bones want nothing
more than the warmth of a fire
tender known arms surrounding me
a scolding even for my foolishness.

Tears and crying have been spent
the night is wrapping like a blanket
the smell of bears and other dangers
keep me awake and ever listening.

I could have stayed with the group
unique and special I thought myself
now a statistic and the police blotter
are all's that is left for me.

I deserve the ugly fate I chose
striking out and knowing better
not listening and turning away
Oh mother Oh father forgive me.

The night is broken by a whistling
a keening voice seeking this fool
the Divine who would seek me alone
and bring me safely to my home.



No comments: