Thursday, May 23, 2013

How Often


At that very hour some Pharisees came and said to him, “Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you.” And he said to them, “Go and tell that fox, ‘Behold, I cast out demons and perform cures today and tomorrow, and the third day I finish my course. Nevertheless, I must go on my way today and tomorrow and the day following, for it cannot be that a prophet should perish away from Jerusalem.’ O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! Behold, your house is forsaken. And I tell you, you will not see me until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!’” Luke 13:31-35

How Often

The daily bumps and scrapes
cut me to the core and when
you came running home crying
after being teased and chided
I wanted to take them all on.

A gentle and faithful mother
become a growling mama bear
when her offspring are in danger
and when she sees the innocent wounded
she cannot help but rise up.

This kind of love springs forth
from the deepest heart of us all
creation responds as the Creator
wanting the little ones to be safe
and justice raining down for all.

We cannot help but protect our offspring
and our children can't help their wandering
we are wired to thrust off the safety
blindly walking into trouble and danger
learning to fly takes youthful stupidity.

Still the parent adores the child
and the Creator loves all creation
groaning at our exploits crying at the falls
waiting with open arms to hold us
waiting with a tender heart to enfold us.

No comments: