Monday, March 18, 2013

Light of the World




As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him. We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming, when no one can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.” Having said these things, he spit on the ground and made mud with the saliva. Then he anointed the man's eyes with the mud and said to him, “Go, wash in the pool of Siloam” (which means Sent). So he went and washed and came back seeing. John 9:1-7

Light of the World

Cold and aching, hope all gone
an end to isolation and darkness
is all I ask.

Sitting by the road begging, praying
I hear the ridicule and laughter
nothing kind.

I was born lacking,an embarrassment
a judgement on my parents who left me
by the roadside.

Crying out with weakening lungs
shaking with tears and a deep gnawing hunger
abandoned alone.

The hand that touches is gentle the voice
bids me to rise and wash in the pool
first kind words.

With water the world opened with light
shocked faces all around me but one
who smiled with love.

I expected a happy crowd but anger and fear
surrounded them as they surrounded me with questions
how can this be?

For me I was once blind, abandoned and rejected
I looked into the eyes of God's love
which sought me out.

For me, I was nothing, a shame and sorrow
I lived to know the faces of my family and see
the sun rise.

For me, there is nothing to say but thank you
nothing but gratitude to God from my heart
for making me whole.





No comments: