Monday, January 7, 2013

My Beloved






In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”
The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. And he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan. And he was with the wild animals, and the angels were ministering to him. Mark 1:9-13



My Beloved

You are my beloved
cherished in the womb
from your first day
we hovered over you
smiling through our tears of joy.

You have been a stranger
moving too often exposed
to strange customs, languages
an outsider at home.

Our people don't understand
your parents listening to God
following angelic direction
and throwing caution aside.

You are my beloved
made out of ancient wonder
compassion and delight
molded from flesh and bone
ours alone.

This journey you begin
is neither easy nor sure
the road is dangerous and rocky
but there will be guides and signs
like the star arising at your birth.

Gentle beloved heart of my heart
go from this place with joy
for God has made you more
than enough for the journey
and God will bring you home.







No comments: