Saturday, September 1, 2012

September Light


Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” So the Pharisees said to him, “You are bearing witness about yourself; your testimony is not true.” Jesus answered, “Even if I do bear witness about myself, my testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. In your Law it is written that the testimony of two people is true. I am the one who bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me.” They said to him therefore, “Where is your Father?” Jesus answered, “You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” These words he spoke in the treasury, as he taught in the temple; but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come. John 8:12-20

It is Labor Day weekend and the people have come in droves to the shore to squeeze one last weekend out of summer. Although the autumnal equinox does not arrive until late in the month, our internal calendars are measured by back to school and all the fall routines including football schedules. I love the fall but many get depressed when fall arrives, and struggle with the loss of light. I watched the light as it filtered through the trees in Western PA, and a breeze caught the leaves falling, dancing on the streams of filtered light.

Jesus continues to explain his role and who he is in God's reign. Few want to hear or acknowledge him. It means their world is changing, the old order is passing away and a new order, and a radical new season is beginning. We humans resist and rail against change, especially when it means we will have to think and function in new ways - we will have to learn new things. God wants us to understand the gift and benefit of change, of new light and the rotation of life, the rotation of the earth. We are given the glorious gift of seasons and times, so that the changes in light bring us new revelation, new insight into the heart of God.

Today, I ask God to help me see with new eyes, and with an expectant and open heart. There is so much to do in the coming days and the anxiety of expectations can take away from the joy of life. No matter how life changes, God's light is with us and no matter how much new we must take in, Jesus promises to show us the way and light our path each step on the road. May we embrace each new day, learning and growing by God's light, dancing and swaying with the falling leaves, celebrating the incredible gift that is the light of the world.

No comments: