Friday, July 27, 2012

Some Days



Feast Day of William Reed Huntington

Looking up to heaven, Jesus said, "I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

"Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them." John 17:20-26


We arrived in New York City very late last night after a long day of travel and several delays and mishaps on the way. Needless to say, we are in one peace and were taken care of by several good Samaritans and helpful folks who got us on our way to where we needed to go. Despite the twists and turns in all our adventures, God finds a way to help us all, and gives us new strength every morning.

W R Huntington, although never a bishop, had more influence on the Episcopal Church than most bishops. He was born in Lowell, Massachusetts, in 1838, the son of a physician, studied at Harvard, and was ordained a priest in 1862. In each of the thirteen General Conventions (held every three years, in years that have a remainder of 2 when divided by 3) of the Episcopal Church that met between 1870 and his death, he was a member, and indeed the most prominent member, of the House of Deputies. In 1871 he moved for the restoration of the ancient Order of Deaconesses, which was finally officially authorized in 1889. His parish became a center for the training of deaconesses. Huntington's was the chief voice calling for a revision of the Book of Common Prayer (completed in 1892), and his the greatest single influence on the process of revision. The prayers he wrote for it include the following, used during Holy Week and on Fridays.

Almighty God, whose dear Son went not up to joy but first he suffered pain, and entered not into glory before he was crucified: Mercifully grant that we, walking in the way of the cross, may find it none other than the way of life and peace; through the same thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord.


Today I am reminded that we all have ministries no matter to what order we are called, and God uses a variety of folks to increase the Gospel and mission of the church. May we all do our part, for friends and neighbors alike, trusting that God is using our gifts and encouraging others through us. May we be strengthened for service today, knowing that we are not alone but that Christ empowers us, and uses even our weakness for the good of God's reign.

No comments: