Friday, May 18, 2012

Solid Rock


On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’
“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.” Matthew 7:22-27


Yesterday I swam for the first time after back surgery. I have been aching to swim but had been forbidden since the surgery was extensive and I needed time to heal. The doctor instructed me to take it very slow, and only do a few laps for my first time out. It was hard to hold back, but I knew how weak I was, even as I delighted in the water. It has taken a lot of time and trust to come back from so much weakness and pain. There were times when it seemed too overwhelming, living patiently as mending and healing took place. Yesterday in the water, I could rejoice in the power of prayer and faith that has held me securely in this long time of healing. I was not a rock, but I was place firmly in that solid rock.

Jesus wanted his disciples to understand that there were many storms facing them in their walk of faith. We cannot expect happy days and an easy ride all the time. Sometimes we have to be totally dependent on those around us, weak as we heal and learn to love. Other times we have to be the strong and steady as the world around us spins out of control. We can take heart and strength in the fact that we are planted on the rock, we are beloved and cared for, we are never alone and always loved and protected beyond measure.

Today, I ask God to give us all the strength of faith today, and enough humility to ask for help when we find ourselves sinking. May prayer be always on our lips, so that we remember in every moment our reliance on God, and God's promise to be constant, and solid as a rock through all our storms. May God grant us wisdom to built our lives on love and faithfulness, so that we can be strength for others in times of need.

No comments: