Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Night Prayers


Night Prayer – from the New Zealand Book of Common Prayer
Approach:

The angels of God guard us through the night,
And quieten the powers of darkness.
The Spirit of God be our guide
To lead us to peace and to glory.
It is but lost labour that we haste to rise up early, and so late take rest, and eat the bread of anxiety. For
those beloved of God are given gifts even while they sleep.

Silence.

My brothers and sisters, our help is in the name of the eternal God,
Who is making the heavens and earth.
Dear God, thank you for all that is good, for our creation and our humanity, for the stewardship
you have given us of this planet earth, for the gifts of life and of one another, for your love which
is unbounded and eternal.
O thou, most holy and beloved, my Companion, my Guide upon the way, my bright evening star.
We repent the wrongs we have done:
Silence.
We have wounded your love.
O God, hear us.
We stumble in the darkness.
Light of the world transfigure us.
We forget that we are your home.
Spirit of God, dwell in us.

Eternal Spirit, living God, in whom we live and move and have our being, all that we are, have been, and shall be is known to you, to the very secret of our hearts and all that rises to trouble us.

Living flame, burn into us. Cleansing wind, blow through us. Fountain of water, well up within us, that we may love and praise in deed and in truth.

Invocation:

Eternal Spirit, flow through our being and open our lips,
that our mouths may proclaim your praise.
Let us worship the God of love,
from this time forth and forever more.

Psalm 4
Answer me when I call, O God, for your are the God of justice.
You set me free when I am hard-pressed: be gracious to me now and hear my prayers.
Men and women, how long will you turn my glory to my shame? How long will you love what is worthless and run after lies?

Know that God has shown me such wonderful kindness: when I call out in prayer, God hears me. Tremble, admit defeat, and sin no more. Look deep into your heart before you sleep and be still. Bring your gifts, just as you are, and put your trust in God. Many are asking, Who can make us content?
The light of your countenance has gone from us, O God. Yet you have given my heart more gladness than those whose corn and wine and oil increase.
I lie down in peace and sleep comes at once, for in you alone, O God, do I dwell unafraid.

Reading

Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who abuse you. Do good and lend, expecting nothing in return. . . Be merciful as your Father is merciful.

Judge not and you will not be judged. Condemn not and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you; for the measure you give will be the measure you receive. (from Luke 6: 27-38)

Prayers:
Into your hands, O God, I commend my spirit,
for you have redeemed me, O God of truth and love.
Keep me, O God, as the apple of an eye;
Hide me under the shadow of your wings.

Antiphon: Preserve us, O God, while waking, and guard us while sleeping, that awake we may watch with Christ, and asleep may rest in your peace.

Song of Simeon: Praise be to God, I have lived to see this day. God’s promise is fulfilled, and my duty done. At last, you have given me peace, for I have seen with my own eyes the salvation your have prepared for all nations – a light to the world in its darkness, and the glory of your people Israel. Glory be to
God, sustaining, redeeming, sanctifying, as it was in the beginning, so now, and for ever. Amen.

Antiphon: Preserve us, O God, while waking, and guard us while sleeping, that awake we may watch with Christ, and asleep may rest in your peace.

Prayers: Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.


I will lie down in peace and take my rest,
for it is in God alone that I dwell unafraid.
Let us bless the Earth-maker, the Pain-bearer, the Life-giver,
let us praise and exalt God above all for ever.
Lord, it is night.
The night is for stillness.
Let us be still in the presence of God.
It is night after a long day.
What has been done has been done;
what has not been done has not been done;
let it be.
The night is quiet.
Let the quietness of your peace enfold us,
all dear to us, and all who have no peace.
The night heralds the dawn.
Let us look expectantly to a new day,
new joys, new possibilities.
In your name we pray. Amen.

O God of love and mercy, grant us, with all your people, rest and peace. Amen.

No comments: