Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Leftovers


And they had a few small fish. And having blessed them, he said that these also should be set before them. And they ate and were satisfied. And they took up the broken pieces left over, seven baskets full.Mark 8:7-8

Sometimes the weekly lectionary and the Sunday lectionary collide and repeat the same story within a few days of each other. When I decided, years ago, after writing my blog for some time, to focus on the lectionary like a good bishop should, I didn't expect that I would be tripping over scripture so much, trying to think up some new angle on the same story several times in one week. Well here I am again. So, I have decided to hear the over all story, the themes that have been repeated loud and clear, day after day, right to my face, over and over again. Healing and abundance. God's word to us all in this season of Lent is healing and abundance. Three weeks after surgery, groaning and moaning and feeling sorry for myself, the message is healing and abundance. In my own fragile world of self-induced worry the message is God's grace is healing and abundance - more than ever before - the knock your socks off, wow factor, kind of healing and abundance. For those who have suffered life long, for those who have been rejected and abused, for those who are outcasts and renegades, for all of us who are anxious about our lives, our work, our children, the message is healing and abundance.

God's compassion is for all of us and God's response is healing and abundance to whatever we are facing today. Even those things we are afraid to confess, and even those of us who are trying to be cool and are still aching inside - God says get ready for healing and abundance for that is my way. May we all remember that God is walking down our road today, God is sitting with us today, God is moving with compassion wherever we are to bring healing and abundance.

No comments: