Wednesday, March 21, 2012

In the Mud Again


And they came to Bethsaida. And some people brought to him a blind man and begged him to touch him. And he took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village, and when he had spit on his eyes and laid his hands on him, he asked him, “Do you see anything?” And he looked up and said, “I see people, but they look like trees, walking.” Then Jesus laid his hands on his eyes again; and he opened his eyes, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. And he sent him to his home, saying, “Do not even enter the village.” Mark 8:22-26

I bought these hideously bright yellow boots the other day for three dollars. They're ankle high rubber and made for slogging around in the mud. I know it may sound a bit wacky, but it made me really happy, thinking about slogging around in the mud, digging in the garden, and getting covered all over with mud and dirt. I can't help myself, I love to garden and although I am a very disorganized and sloppy gardener who gets very mixed results, I love the mud and digging, watching the plants grow and taking in the whole experience. Vibrant plants and vibrant life seem to both need a good bit of mucking around in the mud.

The blind man came to Jesus for healing and found himself with a face full of mud. He rubbed the mess away only to have it applied again. He then could see, beyond his wildest dreams and was thrilled beyond measure and full of gratitude and full of life. It takes a good bit of mess, mud, spit, sweat to understand life and to be able to embrace the abundance and life that God brings to us daily. If you are finding yourself knee deep in mess today, if you feel like you are pushing a wet rock up hill, if the ground around you is muddy and slippery, remember the man that came to Jesus. His healing was a messy but brilliant process. Life and love are messy and brilliant processes and are all tremendous gifts from God.

The Gardener's prayer -
Dear God, creator of life and abundance beyond measure, help me plant these seeds with love and care. May I be a careful and tender gardener, having compassion on the tender greens and the tender people in my life. May I be willing to get on my knees and get dirty for others. And may my offerings bring love and abundance in the life of others. Amen.

No comments: