Thursday, January 26, 2012

Steadfast


Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
for his steadfast love endures forever!
Let Israel say,
“His steadfast love endures forever.”
Let the house of Aaron say,
“His steadfast love endures forever.”
Let those who fear the LORD say,
“His steadfast love endures forever.”
Out of my distress I called on the LORD;
the LORD answered me and set me free.
The LORD is on my side; I will not fear.
What can man do to me?
The LORD is on my side as my helper;
I shall look in triumph on those who hate me.
It is better to take refuge in the LORD
than to trust in man.
It is better to take refuge in the LORD
than to trust in princes.
All nations surrounded me;
in the name of the LORD I cut them off!
They surrounded me, surrounded me on every side;
in the name of the LORD I cut them off!
They surrounded me like bees;
they went out like a fire among thorns;
in the name of the LORD I cut them off!
I was pushed hard, so that I was falling,
but the LORD helped me.
The LORD is my strength and my song;
he has become my salvation.
Glad songs of salvation
are in the tents of the righteous:
“The right hand of the LORD does valiantly,
the right hand of the LORD exalts,
the right hand of the LORD does valiantly!”
I shall not die, but I shall live,
and recount the deeds of the LORD.
The LORD has disciplined me severely,
but he has not given me over to death.
Open to me the gates of righteousness,
that I may enter through them
and give thanks to the LORD.
This is the gate of the LORD;
the righteous shall enter through it.
I thank you that you have answered me
and have become my salvation.
The stone that the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone.
This is the LORD's doing;
it is marvelous in our eyes.
This is the day that the LORD has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Save us, we pray, O LORD!
O LORD, we pray, give us success!
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD!
We bless you from the house of the LORD.
The LORD is God,
and he has made his light to shine upon us.
Bind the festal sacrifice with cords,
up to the horns of the altar!
You are my God, and I will give thanks to you;
you are my God; I will extol you.
Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
for his steadfast love endures forever! Psalm 118


The Cape May Point Lighthouse has been part of my history my whole life. It defines the visual landscape, it announces safety to boats coming to harbor and it signals coming home for me. I never remember a time when it was not lit, day or night, despite the changes in time and paint color. Many people have come and gone but it is steadfast and continuous, a silent beacon of hope in all weathers, all seasons and for residents and visitors alike.

Today we hear this psalm of David, this poem set to music, in which he reminds himself of God's constancy in the face of wars, violence, jealousy and rage. It rings loud and clear of God's love for all of us, God's protection for everyone, and the true safe harbor that is the love of God. We are humbled as we sing, reminded that, deserving or not, God is constant and faithful in a very unfaithful and often hateful world. We are invited to be grateful and humble sharing the love and confidence we have been given, despite circumstances great and frightening, with the people around us.

As we travel home today, I ask God to cover our steps and the miles between here and home, with safety and compassion. May we not fear the road ahead, nor the twists and turns, knowing God goes with us each step of the way. May we all sing loud the praises of the One who holds us tenderly, shields us from the terrors of our days and nights, and who brings us home in light and safety. And may we who sing, also reach out in love to those who are perishing in fear and anxiety, knowing love is most visible as it is given away.

No comments: