Friday, October 14, 2011

Identity


When Jesus had finished instructing his twelve disciples, he went on from there to teach and preach in their cities. Now when John heard fin prison about the deeds of the Christ, he sent word by his disciples and said to him, “Are you the one who is to come, or shall we look for another?” And Jesus answered them, “Go and tell John what you hear and see: the blind receive their sight and the lame walk, lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, and the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them. And blessed is the one who is not offended by me.” Matthew 11:1-6

As we drove up the Garden State parkway yesterday we noticed signs that told us that as of Monday all of the toll lanes will have cameras. I was surprised, I thought all of the toll lanes always had cameras. There seem to be cameras everywhere, no matter how small or large the business, for the sake of security and record keeping, there are cameras installed. We are used to a world where we show our identification and security cameras are the norm. We are accustomed to searches in airports and we even have to show our drivers' license at the doctors office.

John's disciples are sent to check out Jesus to make sure he is the one. They don't collect a picture or some DNA sample like we would now, but rather he is identified by his actions. He is identified by the good works, the healing and the transformation he brings. Jesus' response suggests that to be identified as one of the followers of him, we might want to live a life of service, bringing healing and comfort where it is needed. We need not be famous or renown, just identified with our gifts of service and compassion.

God, let my life be identified with your compassion and your acts of kindness. May my hands and my heart, no matter what befalls me today, be open and ready to serve others. May my identity be wrapped up in the service of others, and through me, see the touch of God in our needy world today.

2 comments:

Chris Brennan Lee said...

I'm always glad when the camera catches someone else but anxious when I realize it's also pointing at me! My inner camera occasionally needs to refocus on the priorities of life - certainly when I focus on the needs of others through the lens of God, the image of God in them becomes totally clear. Good reminder today.

Discern with Me said...

"Don't talk about or promote Jesus. Just be Jesus." Mother Theresa